Since the tragic Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast of the USA, the photographer John Micheal Craven has called the statue of Saint Joan of Arc a
Beacon of Hope!
This beacon is not only for the people of New Orleans but for all those who are suffering and struggling to regain their lives.
The first photo is by Mr. Edwin Lofquist of Washington state, all other photos are by Mr. John Michael Craven, a native of New Orleans, Louisiana, who took them in the years designated.
The history of the 'Golden' statue of Saint Joan in the city of New Orleans as related by Miss. Jola J. Madnell.
Mr. Robert Whyte of the "World House" organization in New York City sent the statue of St. Joan to New Orleans in 1958, as a gift from the grateful people of France. This statue was a replica of the original one which stands in 'Place des Pyramids,' Paris. Unfortunately the people of New Orleans could not afford the $35,000 price tag to erect the pedestal for this statue so it remained in storage for eight years.
President Charles de Gaulle visited the city of New Orleans in 1960. Thoroughly enjoying his visit there, he personally organized a fund involving four French cities and the citizens of New Orleans, which raised the necessary amount, needed to build the pedestal.
In 1972 the statue of Saint Joan was placed on top of the seventeen-foot tall base that was built at the 'Place de France.'
That statue was gilded in 1985 by Mr. Donald Kepper.
Because the large Harrah Casino and hotel was built next to the 'Place de France' the Saint Joan monument was relocated in 1999 to where it now stands, at the "French Market - Vieux Carré" which is at the corner of Saint Philip and Decatur Streets.
2001 photo by Mr. Edwin Lofquist of Washington state
The Saint Joan statue stands proudly at the corner of Saint Philip and Decatur Streets. The three flags that are behind the statue are as follows: USA, French and the State flag of Louisiana.
Saint Joan leads God's people to rebuild His Kingdom on earth.
This 'bas-relief' is found over the main entrance to the Saint Joan of Arc Church. This church was built by the "Josephites" Order in 1923.
This statue is found in the cathedral of Saint Louis, New Orleans, Louisiana. It was donated to the cathedral by "The Sodality of Saint Joan of Arc" in 1920.
The above two photos were taken of the "Blessed" Joan of Arc statue which can be viewed at St. Patrick's Church on Camp St. here in New Orleans. This statue made its debut at St. Patrick's fairly recently where St. Patrick's is concerned since St. Patrick's has been around since the late 1840's here in New Orleans and is on the list of National Historic Landmarks. This statue of Joan of Arc has "Blessed" in French written across its base with the name Jeanne d'Arc. It also features her banned with the phrase "Jhesus & Marie". It was added to St. Patrick's Church around 1999 and is featured in a most prominent place in the church next to the elaborate wooden pulpit by the main altar.
This photo shows St. Patrick's church's main altar taken during adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. It will give the viewer a sense of the beautiful surroundings that "Blessed" Joan of Arc finds herself in. The church for obvious reasons is on the national list of historic landmarks and features three remarkable mural reproductions.